Compensation: Base + bonus ~ $190K
As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the President/CEO/Shareholders. The CFO will assume a strategic role in the overall management and direction of the company. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, inventory, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, job costing, legal, property management, deal analysis and negotiations, investor relationships and partnership compliance and private and institutional financing.
Reporting to and partnering with the President/CEO, the CFO will play a critical role in developing and implementing the company’s overall strategy and will also work with the other Executive Team members to grow and/or improve each business segment.
1. Oversee reporting and accounting as per regulatory and legal requirements.
- Implement accepted corporate accounting practices at all levels
- Ensure company meets all financial, legal, and tax requirements
- Communicate quickly and frankly all relevant information to owners and senior management
- Ensure quality internal controls
- Prepare financial statements
- Manage accounts payable and receivable
- Manage month-end close
- Undertake & analyze inventory evaluations
- Manage invoicing
- Oversee payroll
- Prepare fixed asset valuations
- Maintain current understanding of all company debt and cash flow
- Ensure maximized use of Financial & Management software
- Coordinate annual audit
- Remain current on GAAP, FAS, IRS, state regulations, as well as best practices in corporate accounting
2. Contribute to strategic planning and development to ensure the company and its divisions reach full growth, profit and service potential.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and opportunities
- Seek out added-value opportunities both internally and externally
- Provide practical advice related to key business strategies
- Lead the Financial Team, and participate as a member of the company’s Senior Management Team
3. Plan, develop and implement operational management system so as to meet agreed-upon corporate performance plans within agreed budgets and timelines covering all relevant areas of operations.
- Develop and deliver useful financial reports for analysis, including budgets and P&Ls by department
- Analyze operating results to highlight variances from company plans
- Suggest guidelines for corporate financial goals
- Develop policies and systems for the Management Team that enable the company to meet its financial and corporate growth goals
- Develop checklists for delegated work
4. Supervise financial staff and indirect reports including motivation, training, recruitment and selection.
- Promote company mission and values to staff
- Ensure staff policies and procedures are accurate and documented
- Set goals for the financial department
- Communicate expectations and standards
- Promote team approach
- Create mentoring systems and training plans to develop staff capacity
5. Maintain awareness and knowledge of contemporary business operational development theory and methods
- Research and develop best practice systems for corporate accounting and management in general, as well as the petroleum industry specifically
- Provide suitable interpretation to management team and the rest of the staff
- Develop and ensure execution of these systems throughout company
6. Oversee IT solutions for company management, ensuring to keep company systems up to date and efficient
- Research corporate and industry IT developments
- Assess applicability of new technologies
- Provide reports to management team on recommended IT investments
- Develop full understanding of company POS systems at retail units and their relation to cash flow management
7. Analyze and develop projections for potential acquisitions, remodels, upgrades, and new construction.
- Provide feasibility assessment and recommendations for new acquisitions
- Develop analysis using cash flow, capital investment, branding variables and other relevant data to provide complete picture of investment opportunities
- Track actual versus projected results of new acquisitions and capital improvement projects for first year.
8. Other areas of potential responsibility
- company insurance, licensing, contracts and agreements, legal areas and activities, corporate level negotiations (e.g. premises, plant, trading, acquisitions and divestments, disposals), health and safety, environmental policies, major supplier/customer/partner relationships, regulatory bodies’ relationships and strategies, approvals and accreditations.
- Bachelors Degree – Finance/Accounting and/or MBA required. CPA/CMA highly preferred, but not required.
- Eight to ten years of relevant convenience store / petroleum marketing industry experience in increasingly responsible financial positions encompassing a broad range of managerial roles.
- Relevant experience with expanded business lines such as car wash, auto service, etc.
- Five years’ experience in a Senior Financial Management role in a sophisticated and complex financial environment.
- Experience with, and/or understanding of, the special requirements of operating in a family-owned business setting.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate in a frank and timely manner around all work related matters.
- Strong financial and business analytical skills.
- Extensive working experience with computerized financial, human resource, and payroll systems.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Superior leadership, management and interpersonal skills. Ability to develop and operate successfully in a team environment.
- Excellent creative and problem-solving skills.
- Strong team player orientation.